Monday 7 March 2016

Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife - December 2015




This is the first holiday that I had after losing my wife in July 2015 and the first holiday I have ever taken on my own. I was feeling very depressed and booked it on impulse after a few beers. It was only the next day that I fully realised what I had done and thought that I had made a big mistake. However, it was paid for and there was no chance of a refund so I made the decision to go.


What follows is taken from a diary that I wrote during the holiday. I have never at any other time in my life done this. The only content I have ever written into any diary in the past was dentist or doctor appointments and family birthdays.


Day 1 Wed 2nd December

The flight time was 7:20am so I ordered a taxi to the airport for 5am since it takes less than twenty minutes to get to the airport from my home.

On arriving at the airport it felt strange being on my own and I seriously thought of returning back home. But I knew I had to continue with the holiday. Many people travel on their own and think nothing of it. My difficulty was that I had always travelled with someone, either family or friends.

The airport lounge was quiet at that time in the morning which made my sense of being on my own worse if anything. It was nothing like the holiday joy that I had experienced on previous holidays but I had to make the best of it. I had a beer in one of the airport bars to start the day. During the flight I had 4 vodkas with fresh orange. I believe it's important to get plenty of vitamin C especially during the winter months.

In the past, my wife always organised flight details and packing, etc. This being new to me, unfortunately, I didn't print off any documentation other than the boarding passes. This became a slight issue later but nothing that couldn't be resolved.

When I arrived at Tenerife South airport, I thought to myself where do I get the transfer bus to the hotel.

I looked around the terminal and finally spotted a Thompson rep who I approached and asked her where I got the transfer bus. She asked me for my transfer voucher but needless to say, I didn't have one. She then asked what company I booked it through. I told her I couldn't remember. I was thinking at this stage that maybe I should have had tea and not vodka.

She pointed to a desk at the far end of the airport but after I had almost reached it, I remembered booking through 'lowcost holidays' so I returned to tell her. After I spoke with her again she pointed me to another desk in the other direction. However, when I got to that desk, the staff there pointed me to the desk that the Thompson rep had pointed out in the first place. By this time I was feeling really warm and getting tired. I explained to the staff at this desk that I had no transfer voucher. After checking my name on their system, they gave me directions to the pickup bus. I found the bus and I was on my way! Well almost...

The bus was there but the driver was waiting for a flight from Germany to arrive. Until then there were only two couples and myself but the bus was almost completely filled when the Germans boarded. We left a few hours later than expected because of the transfer delays. During our trip, the bus was rocking from side to side. It did this for the whole duration rocking back and forth with more than one person complaining of sea sickness. I assume there was a problem with the suspension but all the driver said was that it wasn't his driving or his fault.

After around 90 minutes on the bus, it was my stop. Because of the steep hills and narrow roads I wasn't dropped off at the hotel but to be fair I was taken as close as possible by the driver. I had only to walk about 50 yards to the hotel entrance. On this journey I was the only passenger staying at the Casa del Sol.

Casa del Sol, Tenerife
Casa del Sol hotel
On arrival at reception, the desk clerk was dealing with someone and at no time did he acknowledge my presence until he had finished dealing with them. In the past I would have considered this as ignorant but if I've learned anything in the past few months, it has been that life is too short to get annoyed with actions like this. Anyway, I was on holiday and it only took about 10 minutes to deal with this customer. When the desk clerk did eventually attend to me, he was very courteous. He asked me for the hotel voucher to confirm my reservation. I explained that I didn't print it off but could provide him with a reference number from an email. He said it didn't matter and after checking my passport, gave me the card for entry to my room and directions on how to get there.

My first impressions of the room were good. It was clean and tidy and of reasonable size for a studio. There were two single beds, a small cooking area, and wardrobe with safe, two chairs and a writing desk with a mirror. There was also a small portable TV. The bathroom was a good size and had both a bath and a shower. The balcony was also of a good size with a table and two chairs as well as a drying rack. The view from my balcony was breathtaking. There was a sea view to the left, with houses and hotels in the centre and a mountain view to the right.

On closer inspection however, things were not so rosy. The beds were very firm and would not suit everyone. Not Marriott standards by a long way. But then not Marriott prices either.

Studio in Cas del Dosl
My Studio apartment in the Cas del Dos
The portable TV was an old fashioned box affair but the biggest problem was that I had to stand on a chair to switch it on/off and change channels and volume. I did ask for a remote at reception but after the desk clerk couldn't find one for the room I was staying in that seemed to be the end of it. Also, the only English speaking channel was Sky news. The few other channels were in Spanish. Generally, most people don't mind not watching TV on holiday, but I think it should at least be easily accessed. Not everyone would be prepared to stand precariously on a chair to watch it. Perhaps that's the idea or the management thought it was "OAP and Child Proof ". If so, they never took into account clever kids or walking sticks.

I have stayed in a number of self catering places over the years and although this was not the worst, I was very disappointed with the cooking provisions. If it was to be rated by the cooking provisions alone, it would be the worst. There was a two hob ring but no oven. There was no kettle or toaster. To make a cup of tea, I had to boil water in the saucepan provided. There was only one other pot and a small frying pan. There were also two small tea cups and one smaller coffee cup. There was a microwave which would have been handy, if I had any microwaveable dishes.

On the plus side, the bath was non-slip and fresh towels were provided every day.

I went to the local shop to buy bread, butter and a few bits and pieces then spent about an hour on the balcony before retiring.


Day 2 Thu 3rd Dec

I set off around 11:30am and went for a walk around the local area. I then went to a bank to exchange some money but forgot my passport. I was told the exchange rate was 1.38 but was only given 1.28 the following day. If I had known the exchange rate was so poor I would have looked for a better deal elsewhere.

The north of Tenerife is unbelievably hilly. Be warned, even if you like walking, if you get lost there are even more hills to climb around every corner. I found out this to my cost and must have walked up and down hills for 5 hours or more. I became a bit concerned when I passed by a car I had admired earlier for the third time. I was lost and exhausted and was now obviously walking in circles. Unfortunately, when I asked for directions, I was given different ones. The main reason being is that Casa del Sol is not well known to the locals of Porto de la Cruz because Casa del sol is on the outskirts in the suburb of San Fernando. The other reason is probably because I stopped in bars and restaurants to ask for directions and felt obliged to have a beer in each establishment.


Anyway, as time continued onwards, I did too, feeling tired but happy. Drink has a way of showing things in a different light. It was now getting dark but I eventually found a restaurant where the waitress was local to the area and knew exactly where my hotel was located. After a bite to eat and another drink or two, I left and successfully found my way to the hotel. I slept well that night.


Day 3 Fri 4th Dec

I was up early. After breakfast I went for a walk, confident that I wouldn't get lost. I changed some sterling to Euros in the bank but was very disappointed with the exchange rate.  No wonder banks make massive profits. Their greed has no bounds.

I returned back to the hotel, successfully navigating the streets without mishap. That would come later.

After several blue label vodkas, a shower and a fresh change of clothes, I wandered into Porto de la Cruz town. I was feeling good and looking forward to my first night on the town.

The Bee Hive, Puerto de la Cruz
The Bee Hive, Puerto de la Cruz
I was having a great time in a bar called the Bee Hive, one of the best night spots in Puerto de la Cruz. The barman shown here was getting me another glass for my next refreshment. However, things went badly wrong not long after. I'm not sure if I fell or tripped on my way to the toilet. But whatever happened I must have lost consciousness. I remember vaguely being wheeled in a trolley somewhere and again must have passed out. When I regained consciousness, there were three women and one man around me. I thought to myself "This is not good. Where am I and how did I get here?"

The three women were wearing gloves and facemasks. It was very frightening because I had no idea where I was. They were poking and prodding me and all I could think of was "Why me? Why is this happening?"

I tried to communicate with them but received no reply from the women. Only the man replied. He simply said "relax, relax". I thought to myself, I don't think so at least not until I know where I am and for what reason. I tried to get up but found that I was restrained. Both my arms and legs were tied down. I honestly thought my time on this earth was over. My thoughts were in overdrive wondering what they were going to do with me. Did they want my kidneys for some paying recipient or was it something worse they had in store for me. It felt as if I'd woken up to being a victim in a horror movie. I struggled but to no avail. The only communication I got was from the man and the only word he uttered was "relax". I have no idea how many times he said it but the more he said it, the more I struggled.

I tried to remove what must have been a canular in my right hand and certain that I must have removed it at least once. The women were talking, but in Spanish so I had no idea what they were saying, where I was or what was happening. My struggles increased. The man showed me handcuffs and said that he would use them if I continued struggling.

I stopped for a bit while they poked and prodded and put another needle in. I thought if there is way out of this mess, I need to be as aware as possible. When they left the room, I tried again to get free but all I managed was to bruise both my wrists and legs. 

After I realised there was no way of freeing myself, I thought if I can just reach my phone, then I can call for help. I have no idea how I managed it but I did. I managed to turn my body so that I could get my hand in my pocket to retrieve my phone. I was able to dial 999 and ask the police to assist me.  I told the operator of my situation and that I had no idea where I was but they should be able to locate me using gps.

The police arrived a short time later. It's difficult to describe the relief I felt when they arrived but I tried to keep things in perspective. The mind can play tricks under pressure. Were they genuine? Were they going to take me someplace else? How did they arrive so quickly? These questions and more were going through my head at that time. It was only after they untied me that I could finally relax. It took a number of days before I could actually bear the word "relax". Even now, I still remember the effect that simple word had on me when I was restrained.

Once I was on my feet, the police officers, one male and one female asked where I was staying. After telling them, they were kind enough to take me to a taxi which took me back to the hotel. I was so grateful and relieved to get back in one piece and only a little battered and bruised.



Day 4 Sat 5th Dec

I spent all day in the hotel. When thinking of the previous day, I realised how lucky I was.  Cuts were on both my forehead and underneath my right eye. Another centimetre higher and I could have damaged or lost my eye. As you can probably guess, I was in hospital when I was restrained and it was for my own good. It was to prevent me from falling over again and hurting myself. If I had known this or if English was spoken instead of Spanish, I would have been more compliant and much less concerned.

The experience has given me a better insight and understanding of what can happen when someone has had a bit too much to drink and ends up in accident and emergency. I've now seen and experienced it from both sides of the fence. Prior to this, I would have always taken the side of the hospital staff but now I believe it depends on the circumstances. Those who have never experienced it will obviously have much less understanding and as a result have less empathy with the patient. This happened in my case and was compounded with a difference in language. Although I am grateful for their attention and the work they carried out on my behalf, I remain concerned for their approach to incidents like mine.


Day 5 Sun 6th Dec

X-ray
X-ray
I went for a walk around San Fernando, had some lunch and returned to the hotel in the late afternoon. Unknown to me, hospital staff had taken an X-ray of my head and upper spine. I only noticed a photocopy of it together with an emergency medical report on the writing desk today. I've no recollection of putting it there but must assume that I did. I surmise that I was given the report when I left hospital. Unfortunately the report is written in Spanish although I did translate it using Google Translate. Although not always accurate, it looks like it could have been translated as "Take two paracetamol twice a day with a glass of beer". That works for me.


Day 6 Mon 7th Dec

I was still feeling sore but went for a walk around Puerto de la Cruz. I bought 2 T-shirts and had a couple of beers and some lunch in one of the local restaurants. I passed by Loro Parque a 13.5 hectare zoo with a huge range of animal and plant life. It is one of the biggest attractions in the Canaries but being on my own I didn't go in. I walked through town and somehow managed to get lost again. I had to turn back and retrace my steps after coming across a dual carriageway. From there it took a few hours to get back to hotel. I arrived back in the early evening, had some dinner and an early night.


Day 7 Tue 8th Dec

Sitio Litre, Tenerife
Sitio Litre, Tenerife
Today I went to Sitio Litre, the orchid gardens in Tenerife. The entrance fee was only 4.75 Euros and well worth it to see the beautiful flowers and arrangements. Many famous people including Agatha Christie and Alexander von Humbold have visited here. As well as flowers and plants and the oldest and largest dragon trees in Puerto de la Cruz, there were fish ponds with a large number of beautiful koi carp. There was also a small cafe on site where you can get a drink or a snack.

I left Sitio Litre and had a beer in a local restaurant then walked to the town centre in Puerto de la Cruz. I found a nice bar and had another beer then walked along by the beach and took some photos. I walked past a church and took a video of a local band. I then had a beer and a cheese toasty with bacon in a nearby restaurant. I took another video of the passing band and a girl that was playing a recorder outside the restaurant. She was very good so I put a few Euros in her box.

After using the restroom in the restaurant, I discovered that that the waiter had picked up my unfinished beer. I retrieved it, drank it and asked for the bill. I only left a 50 cent tip but told the waiter that it would have been more if he was more observant with the customers. Anyway, he took it all in good nature and seen the funny side of my comments and waved when I left. At least, I think it was a wave.

Shortly after leaving the restaurant, I found a bar off a side street and ordered a beer. After several minutes, I got talking with a couple Andy from Larkhill, Scotland and his wife Maxine from Liverpool. I noticed that they were drinking red wine and I asked if it was any good because I do enjoy the occasional glass of red wine. When they both told me it was really nice, I ordered a glass.

Friends in Puerto de la Cruz

After an interesting conversation with the couple, I ordered another, then another before finally leaving the bar. Each time I ordered a glass of wine I was given some nibbles. Cheese and biscuits are an example. It was a really nice touch and well presented with the wine.

After leaving I went to my usual haunt, an oasis just before the long uphill walk from Puerto de la Cruz to my hotel in San Fernando. I asked if their wine was any good. "Of course it is", the waiter replied. So I ordered one. It was nowhere near as good as the wine in the previous bar and I let the waiter know that and ordered a beer. I still drank the wine of course. I left the bar some time later and made my way back to the hotel. I made dinner in the apartment, checked my email and went to bed.


Day 8 Wed 9th Dec

The pool in the Casa del Sol
The pool in the Casa del Sol
I used the pool area for first time today. I took the lift to the 4th floor then went up a flight of stairs to get there. The pool area was very well kept with plenty of sunbeds. The staff that served me beers were very friendly and helpful. The pool was a bit small for regular swimming but ideal for the occasional dip or splash around. There was also a lovely mountain view including a view of the well known Mount Teide, an active volcano with its summit being the highest point in Spain. I relaxed on a sunbed at the pool from 10am until 3pm. It was a very enjoyable experience and a welcome break from the hill climbing in the surrounding area.


Day 9 Thu 10th Dec

I went to the pool this morning again. This time I took the lift to the 5th floor. I've no idea why I didn't notice this before because it was so much easier. Anyway, it was 23 degrees and nice to lie back and relax. I stayed there until 2:30pm then had lunch. I thought there was a lounge bar in the hotel but unfortunately it wasn't open at this time of year. I went to a local restaurant instead. However, I felt a bit out of it since I was the only single person in the restaurant. The others were either couples or groups. I had one beer and then returned to my apartment and listened to some music before going to bed. I don't know who moved in next door but what a racket.

I was in room 201 and next door to the right as you walk towards my room is 202 where a Dutch couple were staying. However, to the left there was a room with no number so I assumed that this room is probably used for staff in the hotel or perhaps a spare room that is used occasionally. But the occupants were very noisy. Through the night a female moaned and groaned but it sounded more like crying than any sexual act and went on until 3am. I was almost tempted to knock the door and see if she was OK but thought that may give the wrong impression of my intentions. It would be even worse if she didn't speak English so I decided that if it continued the next night, I would contact reception.



Day 10 Fri 11th Dec

I went to the pool again today but the water is a bit cold. I left around 3:30pm, made lunch and had a nap. I made egg fried rice but what a disaster. I had no salt left and it tasted awful. Only large bags of salt were available to buy in the local shop so I did without. Something else I've learned when holidaying on my own is to take certain provisions with me in future on any self catering holidays like this.

I checked a website for return transfer details but was too early. This had to be done less than 48 hours before the return flight time.

My intention was to go to The Mansion nightclub but it doesn't open until 11pm. (The hours are 11pm - 6am Fri/Sat). It's about a mile walk but the distance didn't concern me as I've walked a lot further even when not lost. If needed, I could always take a taxi but 11pm was a bit too long to wait and what I didn't want was to go out too early and drink too much. I didn't want another episode of Tenerife's emergency 'hospitality'.

I decided to stay in and read a book. After 2 pages of a riveting read, I changed my mind. I got ready and went out for a beer. I went to a restaurant with live music where a guy was playing a guitar and singing some old numbers. He was terrible and the assault on my ears was painful but I felt obliged to clap anyway. Again, I felt out of it here because I was the only single in the place. There were several couples and a few groups of people in the restaurant that would have enjoyed the upbeat music of this talented musician if he hadn't been drowned out by their conversation. Then again, it gave an ambience to the restaurant that complimented his musical talent.

I managed to drag myself away after only one beer and took a walk further along the road. After only a few dozen steps, I could once more appreciate the sound of silence.  After a few more steps I arrived at the bar where the owner had first given me directions the day that I got lost. It was only a courtesy to visit this establishment once more and have a beer. So I stopped here for a while, had a couple of beers and chatted with the owner. I left some time later, went back to the hotel and went to bed around 12pm. I was too tired go to The Mansion nightclub. Or maybe I was being sensible for once.


Day 11 Sat 12th Dec

I went to the pool again today. It was becoming habit forming but unfortunately the pool bar wasn't open today. I didn't get my customary beers and I left disappointed around 2:30pm. Sometimes we must make sacrifices. To offset this a little, I had a bottle of San Miguel on the balcony with a ham and Edam cheese baguette. With no restaurant in the hotel other than the one catering to those who had bed and breakfast or half or full board stays, I either ate out or rustled up a tasteless meal. Eating out was the best option because although I enjoy cooking, I had neither ingredients nor utensils to make a decent meal.

I opened the second bottle of blue label vodka that looked at me pleadingly from its shelf on the fridge today. Both of us were wondering whether to go out or be sensible and stay in and have few drinks together. I opted to stay in even although it was Saturday. Although I might be on my own in the apartment, at least I can chat to friends on Facebook or read a good book. I'm reading my second book in tandem with the vodka. An early night beckons.


Day 12 Sun 13th Dec

I spent another day at the pool. I had two beers from the pool bar and left at 2:00pm since it was cloudy. I had some lunch with another obligatory beer and followed this with a short nap. When I woke, I got ready and went out at 7pm. I found a quite wine bar in the area and had pleasant glass of red wine before moving on to a pizza restaurant and a couple of cold beers. I then went to what I would probably call my local haunt where I had mixed tapas with cheese and ham together with a few more beers. I chatted with the waitress for a bit and found out more about the area in both San Fernando and Puerto de la Cruz.

I'm not sure what time I left the restaurant, but I slept well


Day 13 Mon 14th Dec

Today was really sunny with not a cloud in the sky. I took advantage of it by spending all day at the pool. I had 4 beers and some lunch from the pool bar and left about 4pm. I then went back to the apartment and took a short nap. I later tried to confirm the transfer details but my WiFi time had expired. I went to reception and found that they had received a fax from the transfer company Urbis earlier today with the transfer details. The pickup time 07:53 Ouch!

In the evening I went out to a local restaurant and ordered a pizza. However, I could only eat one slice but the waitress put the rest of the pizza in a box for me to take away. I left and went back to the hotel and had another early night.


Day 14 Tue 15th Dec

Beer and a baguette for breakfast
Beer and a baguette for breakfast
I had the usual ham and cheese baguette for breakfast and went to the pool around 10:30am. It was another sunny day with temperatures of at least 26 degrees. I left the pool area about 4:30pm, the longest time that I'd spent there. I had the Pizza from the night before for dinner/late lunch. I then went out to buy cigarettes for my daughter's partner then visited a few restaurants and bars that I had frequented to say my goodbyes. I had met some really nice genuine people in my time here and just wanted to say my farewells to them . After this, I went back to the hotel and packed my case and set the alarm for an early start tomorrow.


Day 15 Wed 16th Dec

I was up early for the transfer to the airport and was picked up at 7:55am. It was a three hour trip to the airport but should have been only two hours at most. I was the first passenger to be picked up but after more than an hour and several pickups later, I was only minutes away from the hotel I was picked up from. This was unfortunate but can happen when there are a number of different pickup points. However, I think that three hours on a bus without toilet facilities is too long without stopping for a break. I returned home safely on seat 13A.





2 comments: